1450 E. 57th Street (Google Maps)
CPC invaded Caffe Florian on 3/29/06
Caffe Florian is one of many restaurants in Hyde Park that make pizza. During orientation at the U of C you quickly become familiar with The Medici, Caffe Florian, Pizza Capri, and Edwardo's since every function you attend has pizza from all of these places. Surprisingly, the university neglects to provide its students with Cholie's Pizza, but that's a different story. There are three reactions to the pizza offerings at these meetings. You can be (1) a rube and declare how delicious it all was compared to the standards (Pizza Hut and Domino's), (2) from Chicago and feel disheartened that Hyde Park doesn't contain good pizza, or (3) an East Coast snob and hate the pizza because it wasn't made in New York and OMFG, did you realize we're not in New York anymore???
Eventually you come to realize a few things
- Cholie's is bad in a good way; the adjacent Falcon Inn is just bad
- The pizza wasn't so bad, it was just laying in cardboard boxes for half an hour before anyone touched it
- On second thought, the Medici really is that bad. Just because they let you carve your name anywhere you want doesn't mean the overpriced pizza is any good.
- Thin Crust, Pepperoni, Garlic, Onion
- Pan (regular), Ham, Basil
- Pan (wheat), the special Artichoke Pesto pizza
Petey gives Caffe Florian a score of 8.6
The pepperoni & garlic goes fast...
Ham & Basil
The last slice...
"Do you like Pizza? Yeah, me too"
Where it went down